Monday, July 18, 2005

E-mails from the Dead: Part Four

To: "the kids"
From: Martinvandervelt@deadmail.com
Subject: Last words

You will, I'm sure, remember the moment before I died, when I motioned you all closer with my hand, held your gaze in mine for what seemed to be an eternity, and whispered: "The emeralds are in the glove compartment". Just a quick note to say: I've no idea what I meant by this. You know those comments that come into your head at completely the wrong moment? I was feeling nervous as hell and you were all hunched up so close with these solemn faces on and, between one thing and the next, I guess it just popped out.

Of course I realise in hindsight that this was a completely irresponsible act, even for a dying man. Let's just say I feel wholly to blame for the downward spiral of violence, paranoia, litigation and car-jacking that has since humbled our once-proud family. I feel obliged to make things up to you- and that is why I'm finally breaking silence on the 35 solid gold Krugerrand tucked behind the kitchen skirting board. (So now you know why Alison got so obsessed with home improvement all of a sudden... Only kidding, Alison!)

I know I might have talked a bit of "blarney" in the past, but this time, I'm serious. Honestly, I am. The gold is real. Go check. Just make sure you get there first :-)

Do me proud, kids!

All my love,
Martin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home