Monday, July 31, 2006

Said I'd be back

It’s about time for my driving lesson. Every Tuesday evening, I sail through South West London, bobble headed at the wheel like Noddy in Toytown, while in the bucketseat beside me, Iqbal grits his teeth and pumps the pedals like a lunatic. Iqbal is an observant Muslim, and anytime we’re caught in traffic, I try to tease out his views on some of the pressing issues of the day.

“What’s it going to be like, then?” I say.
“It will be terrible,” Iqbal says. “You’re talking about the end of the world again?”
“The Apocalypse, yeah. What’s it going to be like?”
“Oh, terrible, terrible. The best way to describe is this. You know that scene in Terminator? The one with the enormous battle? That’s what it will be like.”
“Oh yeah: the bit where she’s in the playground.”
“No playground; it’s a big battle. It’s like the end of the world.”
“Yeah, but she’s in the playground when she sees it. It’s like a vision. She sees the battle and the bomb go off. And everyone around her falls in the blast.”
“You’re talking about Terminator Two. You’re talking about Judgement Day. There’s no battle in that movie. There’s only that scene, but that’s not a battle. A battle is armies engaging in warfare, not just a bomb and then whoosh. I meant the battle in Terminator One.”
“Where is there a battle in Terminator One? It’s so long since I watched it.”
“At the start of Terminator One. You have to remember. It’s a very famous scene.”
“It’s ten years since I watched it. Is it the battle between the robots and the people?”
“That’s what I’m talking about. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. The battle between the robots and the people. You remember now? Well, that’s what the end of the world will be like. Only not with the robots. People fighting people. Or maybe the robots too, because who knows?”
“Iqbal,” I say. “What’s your take on Terminator Three?”
“My friend saw it and said it’s actually quite poor,” Iqbal says. “No so good as Terminator One and Terminator Two.”
“One and Two are in a different league,” I say.
“One and Two are classics of cinema,” Iqbal says.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dick O'Brien said...

Yay, Ben's back!

6:57 pm  
Blogger Ben Good said...

Ah thanks Dick.

10:33 am  
Blogger Óscar said...

That remembers me....

"uuuuuuu...could be mayaynnnnnnn..."

That was when I was around 19, depressed about not having that 5-stringed bass to play it with my 4-stringed bass.

Now I am 32 and have a 5 since years that I don't play. Not even the Terminator II tune :P

That happens when you grow up (not much in my case...), you change your magazines at your daily bagpack from bass-player magazines to furniture ones... (i am not kidding) :P

12:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oscar,

Swapping music magazines for furniture ones? That spells out "Judgement Day" for you.

Ben,

There is a strange continuum between you learning to drive and the Terminator.

Back on form in any case! Don't make us wait so long for the next one...

2:30 pm  
Blogger Ben Good said...

Hi Oscar

You've got me thinking of theremin covers of Guns and Roses hits. No other instrument can do justice to that thin vibrato in Axl's voice..

Hiya Diana,

Hope you're doing well. What's this strange continuum? We both come around every five years or so? We both keep trying to knock kids off their motorcycles? Or the fact that after each lesson I physically melt into the floor?

4:46 pm  
Blogger Óscar said...

Diana,

Judgement Day is close for me... as close as OUR birthdays' days, week more or less. By the way, my first "furniture" is bought already: an electronic Dartboard (Diana in spanish :P).So mature, what a surprise :P. The second thing is evident: a microwave oven. So now by the moment I have a dartboad and a microwave oven into an empty 3-room apartment. Enough for a party :P

Ben,

Maybe I should start learning a rockstar behaviour by drinking lots of whiskey, making trouble at bars and getting imprisioned as him. Probably before that, I won't be able to play/sing like that :P

11:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home